Monday, October 31, 2011

Altar Prep

So I waited a little late to do some altar prep for tonight's ritual.  I wish I could say that this is not typical of me.  :-/  I added a nice little pumpkin and some corn a while ago, but I do need to bring out my photos.  Samhain is after all when the veil between worlds is the thinnest than at any other time during the year, and it is during this time that we honor our loved ones, family, friends and/or pets that have passed on.  Their pictures sit upon the altar to remind us that though they are gone from our eyes, they are still with us in spirit and we should honor them. It is rainy and gloomy here today and it feels somewhat appropriate given the solemness of the holiday.

I usually use live flowers on my altar for rituals, but there are occasions where I use dried ones, such as Samhain.  Even though the flowers are no longer living, they are nonetheless very much real and still very beautiful.  They still garner respect and admiration.  To me this makes perfect sense given the nature of the holiday.  I put together this little arrangement earlier:







Tonight I will be performing my Samhain rite together with several other folks, so it should be a good one.  I am very much looking forward to it.  Now off to make some cider, get some work done and prepare for tonight.  Blessed Samhain, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment